the abbey of vallombrosa in history
The building dates back to the early 1000's implemented from San Giovanni Gualberto. The abbey is located on the border of a beautiful forest which is named Builder of religious structure. The current was at the end of the fifteenth century, although in later centuries were added for small structures, such as the eastern tower built in the first half of 1500 and the great basin dating from the late eighteenth century, situated in front of the abbey. The construction religious passed several difficult moments, among which include the sacking of Charles V in 1529, the abolition of the monastery during the Napoleonic era and the evicted of monks in 1866 with the birth of the new Kingdom of Italy. After the expulsion the brothers returned to live in the abbey only 1949. The Abbey retains numerous works of religious art, including the bas robbiani, some paintings by Hugford and a wooden carved by Francesco from Poggibonsi.